Thursday, November 18, 2010

Evidence of Multiple Roadside Bloodbaths

In the course of this trip we have come across evidence of literally hundreds of struck animals. In addition to the coyote Collin hit, we have seen dead fox, dogs, squirrels, owls, at least one elk (in Utah) and deer of every stripe (black tail, white tail, brown...) I even had one deer stumble out in front of me on a back road in Nebraska. It looked like a school kid getting pushed out of the bushes by it's peers, because it stopped in the middle of the lane and looked back where it had come from. Luckily I saw it in time, sounded the horn, and applied just enough brake to give it time to get across the road. The other deer I saw later that night stopped before coming out onto the freeway, which was good, because if he hadn't, I would have hit it for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment