Monday, November 15, 2010

Early Arrival

 We arrived in Clayton, NC early. We had been given a bad address and had an adventure driving shoulder-less country roads, and turning down a residential dead end road that fortunately had a circle at the end just big enough for us to turn around. We decided to stay put for a while until we found out where we were really going. We took a walk, and took some photos of the stunning fall colors.


 Once we finally got through to the contractors, we got a good address, but we were unable to get anyone to unload us - contractors weren't on site, yet. Turns out they are building a bakery, and the panels are for the cooler. This bakery will specialize in buns for McDonald's. Who knows? Down the road you may eat a Big Mac whose bun originated in this bakery. (Not that I am endorsing eating Mickey D's - I don't, myself...)

See! Buddy gets to play sometimes!
We ate early (for us) and too much dinner at Venero's Pizzeria where they let Buddy sit with us out on the back patio. We had a lot of time to kill. I watched "The Brothers Bloom" while Collin fell asleep. The movie was as good as I had hoped it would be when I bought it.
Speaking of time, as a truck driver, crossing the country is an exercise in temporal gymnastics. For our logbooks, we have to keep using the time at our Home Base - Pacific Standard for now - but when we call people for appointments, we have to be aware of local time at the delivery site. We also have to be aware that any receipts we get at stops will not necessarily match the time we need to mark in our logbooks. To make matters even more interesting, the clocks on the truck both show Home Base time, and so does my Blackberry, but the iPad and Collin's phone both adjust to the changing time zones as we cross them. I find I have to be very conscious of which clock I'm looking at, and I'm always either adding or subtracting time...



No comments:

Post a Comment