Thursday, March 10, 2011

Kemmerer, Wyoming

In Houston we picked up a 'lunch box' container - about 8 x 8 - full of misc tools for a job site in Kemmerer, Wyoming.
We ran hard through the night and much of today to get there before 4:30.
This place was 30 miles west of Little America on Hwy 30, then 5 miles down a muddy road; at the site, I walked around in three inches of mud. Almost lost my boot at one point.
The Roberson Creek Compressor Station is situated in a beautiful river valley with snow on all sides, and little sites where they are mining something, and tiny caravans with shepherds and huge flocks of sheep. I mean to look up about those shepherds. Their caravans look like Tinker/Gypsy caravans, and they have horses, and sheep dogs. What a cold, simple existence. I want to say they are Athabascan, or Basque shepherds, but I don't know for sure. (I Googled Basque shepherds in Wyoming, and they are present there, so I bet that is who we saw.)
The road to Roberson Creek

On the way to the jobsite

Snowscape

A few sheep.

The Shepherd's Horses (hobbled)

Get 'Er Done Dr

Mud and Snow

"Gotta Git a Little Mud on the Tires..."

Muddy Jobsite

"Wish I had a River I could skate away on..."

Our winter home could use some work...

Shepherds Caravans
Muddy boots

No comments:

Post a Comment