Monday, January 31, 2011

Homeward Bound

Delivered wheelchair ramps to Colton, CA.
Deadheaded to Lucerne Valley CA to pick up more Safe Carb (drilling mud) from Omya, this time bound for Pacific Alaska Freightways in Fife, WA. Thankfully, we were able to pick the load up a day early.

We took the scenic route over 395. This took us between the Sierra Nevadas and Death Valley. I was glad to be the one driving, as it was beautiful and I would have hated to be trying to sleep with all that beauty outside. 

Scenes from Hwy 395 in California
 

Big Pine, CA





Mono Lake at Sunset - near Lee Vining, CA
Snow capped mountains and meadows with deep snow, houses and lodges with real icicles hanging from the eaves. We passed by the Mammoth Lakes Airfield, and had a 707 touchdown even with us as we cruised along. That was cool. Slow going though. I averaged my speed to the miles I drove, and I only averaged 41 mph. Even though the roads were clear, there was lots of uphill, and downhill you still have to go slow when you have a load on so you don't lose control. We got up over 8000 ft in elevation a couple different times. Sad as it is to have left Buddy, I was glad he wasn't with us then; I know he would have hated that route. It added about four hours onto our travel time going that way, but in my mind it was worth it.

One really weird sight: Someone had struck a coyote, and they propped the carcass on a mound of snow left by the snowplows, so it looked like it was getting ready to cross the highway. Strange.

Looks like we will be deadheading home from Fife, but we are okay with that. Getting done a day early will save a bit on the truck rental, and it will be great to be home.

2 comments:

  1. Collin and Kristi: I love 395! It makes the trip through California pure pleasure instead of torture!
    Who took Buddy? <3 Sally Crum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collin's sister in Texas took him - there is a post about it here called Bye Bye Buddy. I think he really enjoys being there with the little kids that are running around there. Thanks for asking.
    I will take 395 again, if I can convince Collin it will be worth it. He slept through the most beautiful parts, and was pretty disgusted by how long it took. He has been on it before, but only because he was coming north out of Darwin. For me it is part of the reason for being out there. We could have gone through Bakersfield and then up I-5, but we have done that dozens of times already...

    ReplyDelete